EB SHOP BLOGS: WORCESTER | NASHUA | NATICK | DANVERS | WEB BLOG | MEGABLOG

Friday, May 29, 2009

MIKE KILDEVAELD



This is a shot I had been meaning to post for a while now. It's from a lift line at Waterville while I was on Mancation this year. I have known Mike since way back at Nashoba Valley when he was a kid and ski racer..and a good one too. He picked up snowboarding one day at Nashoba for kicks and if my memory serves me right, was riding for Flite Snowboards within a week or two and winning races. He's fast..really fast, and always seemed like one of those guys that might not be playing with a full deck ..but in a good way. The shot of him racing here is from Mar 3 2001: ( Mike Kildevaeld #52 of Denmark in action in the Men's Giant Slalom Event during the FIS Snowboard World Cup in Park City, Utah.Mandatory Credit: Al Bello /Allsport Photo: Al Bello/Getty Images Mar 03, 2001 ) The shots I took were of Mike on a board he was testing out that day at Waterville Valley. Mike and Bill Enos did a lot of racing together from what I remember too. Check out the board he built ( I think out of Elan ) It's connected at the tip for a few inches then splits into two separate "skis" and the boot plates are mounted on some crazy aluminum elevator. I should have followed him for a couple of runs but chances are pretty damn good I would have been lapped instead of keeping up with him. Mike was a big part of early day snowboarding in New England for years before moving off to race all over the world. It was cool to see him back where he started up again.

3 comments:

Mulch said...

he was the first person i saw do a 900. and it was on a race board. Snows Mtn 94.

John said...

Wow dude! just helped his man out with an xbox issue! This guy was the best customer i have ever had and ive been working here for a year! LEARN TO SHRINK IT!!!!

deb stone said...

hey Michael,
deb stone here.
I lived with your mum in Campton the winter of 1990.
You and I enjoyed a beautiful icy day at Waterville Valley, you on your board and me on 205 tele skies.
How are you?
How's your mum?
I'm in Eugene.